In our digital age, staying connected with friends and family is essential. One of the most common ways to maintain this connection is by sharing data. If you’re an MTN subscriber or planning to become one, this guide is your one-stop resource for learning how to share data on MTN effectively in 2023. From MTN data gifting to sharing methods, we’ve got you covered.
What is MTN Data Sharing?
Before we dive into the details of sharing data on MTN, let’s clarify what data sharing means in this context.
MTN data sharing is a feature that allows you to distribute your data allowance with other MTN subscribers. It’s an incredibly convenient way to help your loved ones stay online without having to purchase separate data plans.
Code To Share Data On MTN?
To start sharing data (MB) on the MTN network, you need to follow the steps below:-
- Subscribe to a data package plan that supports data transfer/sharing
- Dial *131*2*1# or SMS REG to 131; to register for MTN MB Share, you will receive a personal security PIN code
- You must change the automatically sent PIN to a PIN that you can easily remember by dialing *131*2*5# or sending a text message. Change OLD_PIN NEW_PIN NEW_PIN to 131. For example, change 0000 1111 1111 to 131. Where 0000 is the old PIN and 1111 is your new PIN.
- After changing the PIN, you need to add beneficiaries to your MTN shared package data account via USSD menu *131*2*2# or by SMS Add <MSISDN> <PIN> to 131. You can add up to 5 beneficiaries to add.
- After adding beneficiaries, you (the sponsor) can share your available data package with the added beneficiaries by sending the keyword Share <PIN> to 131 or by simply entering the code to share data on mtn *131*2*3#.
How To Share Data On MTN 2023/2024?
Sharing MTN MB is now simplified and much easier. The new steps for sharing MB of data on the MTN are below for your use:
- Dial the new code to share data on MTN *131*7# or just dial *131# and select the 7th option.
- Choose option 1 and click submit to continue
- Enter the phone number you want to share the MB of data with
- Choose 1, 2, or 3 depending on the size of MB you want to share with the person.
- Click submit to finish sharing megabytes of data on the MTN network.
Note: All of the above data package plans are valid for one month (30 days) and can be purchased via SMS by sending activation codes without asterisks to 131.
MTN SME Data Share
MTN SME Data Share is a prepaid service that allows business owners to purchase and share data packages with their employees. Designed specifically for growing businesses, this service provides the ability to centrally manage Internet usage by teams across the enterprise.
To use this service, you must first migrate to the MTN MKB Plus rate plan by sending an SMS from 460 to 131.
Share data with a beneficiary
You can share data with any beneficiary by sending the SMS below to 131 according to the table below (or call *461# and follow the prompt):
- SMEA <Phone Number> 250 <PIN> to 131 to send 250MB
- SMEB <Phone Number> 500 <PIN> to 131 to send 500MB
- SMEC <Phone Number> 1000 <PIN> to 131 to send 1 GB
- SMED <Phone Number> 2000 <PIN> to 131 to send 2GB
- SMEE <Phone Number> 5000 <PIN> to 131 to send 5GB
NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY SHARE DATA IN MULTIPLE 250MB, 500MB, 1GB, 2GB, OR 5GB. SHARING DATA IN MULTIPLE OTHER DATA SIZES IS NOT ALLOWED.
SMEA 08031234567 250 1234 = Correct format!
SMEA 08031234567 200 1234 = Incorrect format
SMEB 08031234567 200 1234 = Wrong size
SMESHARE 08031234567 200 1234 = Wrong size
How To Add Number To Share Data On MTN?
You can add your recipients’ MTN phone numbers to the MTN Shared Data Pack by dialing *131*2*2# or sending “ADD” to the short number 131. After adding recipients to this service, you can continue and share data by dialing *131*2*3# or sending “Share” to shortcode 131.
How To Buy MTN Data For A Friend?
Buying MTN data for a friend is very easy and this happens when you don’t have enough data to share with family and friends.
You can choose to buy an MTN data plan for your friend and your calling credit will be charged. To purchase/gift data to a friend on the MTN line, you will need:
Dial *131* package activation code*recipient’s phone number# and send. Very easy as you can see. For a better example *131*106*08035912312#, you can use this method to buy data of any value for your friend.
How To Share Data On MTN App – MyMTN App?
For how to share data on MTN app, you can use the MyMTN app to share data and airtime, here is how to share data on the MTN app:
- Step 1: Open the MyMTN app on your device. This should take you straight to your homepage. If you don’t have the app, you can download it from Google Play or Apple store.
- Step 2: Now tap on the Details button in the DATA BALANCE section as shown in the image below.
- Step 3: Tap on Share data
- Step 4: Select the amount of data you want to share. There are only three options: 10 MB, 50 MB, and 100 MB. Then enter the beneficiary number and tap Continue.
- Step 5: This will take you to a confirmation page. Make sure you verify the number correctly before tapping Transfer.
And that’s it for data sharing.
How To Check The Balance Of MTN Data Share?
After activating this subscription, you can also keep a tab of the data used by checking your balance. To do this, all you need to do is dial *691*7# or send “Sharebalance” to shortcode 131.
how to share data on MTN FAQs: Your Questions Answered
Can I share data with non-MTN subscribers?
Unfortunately, data sharing on MTN is limited to MTN subscribers. You can only share data with others who use MTN as their network provider.
Is there a limit to the amount of data I can share?
Yes, MTN imposes a maximum daily limit for data sharing. As of 2023, the limit is 3GB per day. Keep this in mind when sharing data with others.
Can I share data with multiple recipients simultaneously?
Yes, you can share data with multiple recipients by repeating the data-sharing process for each person you want to send data to.
Conclusion – How To Share Data On MTN App
Staying connected with friends and family is easier than ever with MTN’s data-sharing options. Whether you prefer the simplicity of MTN data gifting, SMS transfers, or the convenience of USSD codes, sharing data on MTN is a breeze. Plus, with the ability to set a PIN for added security, you can ensure that your data is used only by those you trust.
So, go ahead and share the gift of connectivity with your loved ones. Surprise them with data gifts, help them stay connected, and enjoy the convenience of sharing data on MTN in 2023. Stay connected, stay informed, and stay close to MTN’s data-sharing options.
Hope this helps you to fully understand how to share data on MTN. Don’t forget to bookmark this page in case you forget the code on how to share data on MTN or you don’t remember how to share data on MTN app, this page can help you.