Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance: While several institutions offer the comprehensive insurance policies that fleet owners need, small businesses still have limited options. Insurers generally prefer established carriers with a large fleet. Insuring multiple units offsets losses from auto accident claims, allowing insurers to make better profits.
If you need affordable coverage for just one or two units, check out Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance! Sentry offers customizable truck insurance policies for small-scale truck drivers with a minimum length of time in the business. Most of their customers are even single-truck companies. We encourage all individual owner-operators to explore the various Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance policies available.
Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance
Sentry Insurance has been in existence since 1904 and has been under CEO Pete McPartland since 2010. The company offers truck insurance through a group of specialized independent agents. The transportation industry is led by Scott Miller and offers a wide range of coverage options for fleets of all sizes, from owner-operators to large fleets.
In addition to insurance coverage, Sentry also offers security programs created by its certified security directors.
Sentry has gone through several changes over the past century. The company began in 1904 as an internal mutual insurance company for the Wisconsin Retail Hardware Association. Initially, the sole purpose of the company was to insure hardware members.
In 1914, the company established an independent insurance company, and two years later they began writing auto insurance policies. At that point, the policy was no longer limited to hardware workers.
The Wisconsin Retail Hardware Association mutual insurance company has gradually expanded its offerings over the decades. In 1962, however, it experienced a turning point. The company was officially renamed Sentry and thus became a mutual insurance company for the masses.
Today Sentry is one of the most reputable insurers on the market. They offer customizable business insurance policies in every state and have more than 4,500 employees.
Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance Coverage Basics
Want to know more about Sentry Select Truck Insurance? We’ve got you covered! This detailed guide walks you through the basics of their truck insurance policies, the company’s financial strength, and its unique offerings.
As most Sentry truck insurance reviews point out, the company offers customizable policies. They offer comprehensive coverage options aimed at a variety of customers, from individual owner-operators to established truck drivers overseeing large fleets.
While it may seem useful to have multiple policy options, it can also be intimidating for novice truck drivers. Start your Sentry review by comparing your best coverage options.
Commercial civil liability:
Commercial auto liability covers third-party property and personal injury related to your commercial vehicles. Talk to your Sentry agent about the limitation of this coverage. Some insurers will only approve commercial liability claims if the vehicle involved was driven by a full-time employee.
If you or one of your drivers is responsible for damaging property or injuring someone else, commercial auto liability will give you the coverage you need.
Provides coverage for:
- Accident Covered Claims
- Legal and defense costs
- Medical bills for injured parties
- Cost to repair damaged property
Liability for non-cargo transport:
Non-truck liability covers accidents where the truck driver has used his vehicle for non-business purposes. This coverage includes property damage and personal injury. Sentry must approve your NTL claim as long as the affected vehicle has not been shipped by then, regardless of whether it was carrying cargo or not.
When you’re on the road, you need protection whether you have permission or not. Non-truck liability covers you while driving for non-business purposes.
Sentry offers flexible coverage in this department and you can transfer your coverage to new leases.
They also offer empty truck coverage, which covers some losses when you’re not carrying loads. Many companies require this coverage.
Physical damage to trucks includes all first-party coverage options: collision insurance and comprehensive insurance. Collision insurance covers collision accidents, while comprehensive insurance covers non-collision incidents such as fire, theft, and vandalism.
Sentry physical damage insurance covers the cost of replacement, repair, or the actual cost of your damaged vehicle in the event of a covered accident.
Standard physical damage coverages include:
- Hazards specifically mentioned
- Additional coverages are also available, including:
- Rent fee
- Gap Coverage
General liability or general liability insurance protects your business against various business risks, such as traffic accidents, customer injuries, cargo damage, and advertising injuries. The state requires all truck drivers to bear general damages. Vehicles under 10,000 pounds need at least $300,000 in coverage, while larger trucks need $750,000 to $1,000,000.
One of the most important covers for transport companies. General liability is the backbone of your liability protection coverage. This coverage protects you against losses related to your activities, services, or employees.
General liability may cover:
- Legal Expenses
- Medical expenses
- Other specific damages included in your insurance policy
Sentry’s general liability coverage includes:
- Business Liability Insurance: Protects your business from the unknown. In the event of an accident, your general liability policy will cover medical expenses, legal fees, and damages for which you will be held responsible.
- Labor Practices Liability (EPL): If you have employees, EPL can protect your business against claims related to harassment, wrongful termination, or discrimination.
- Commercial Umbrella: Covers costs that exceed the limits of your liability policy. This coverage can be applied to your general liability and personal liability policies.
Essential coverage for truck drivers. In addition to the common hazards you face on the road, motorcycle cargo insurance protects you from a variety of losses, including:
- Cargo theft
- Debris removal
- Refrigerator mechanical failure
Freight you earned but can’t collect because of a covered loss
Cyber Damage is a new cover that protects truck drivers from cyber attacks. This coverage is a must for any truck service provider carrying sensitive business and personally identifiable information (PII) of businesses and customers.
All businesses can take advantage of cyber liability insurance, which provides essential coverage if your data is compromised.
Sentry’s cyber liability coverage includes:
- Information Security and Privacy Responsibility
- Cyber extortion
- Responsibility for Web Media Content
- PCI fines
- Business interruption
- Recreation of own data
If your transport company is the victim of a data breach, Sentry can give you access to several useful services. Your default limit is $50,000, but you can buy incremental coverage limits up to $1 million.
Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance Claim Process
Sentry customers can report a claim at any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via their online portal or by telephone. Policyholders can also track and track their claims online.
Sentry is committed to making the claim process as simple and painless as possible. Communication is a top priority and they will work to find a solution that works for you.
Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance Security Services
Sentry helps policyholders develop and maintain a safety culture. They offer a variety of safety programs for the trucking industry, including:
- Car safety
- Customer safety
- Truck safety and maintenance
- General safety and risk prevention
- Employee problems
- Exposure to the environment
By incorporating these safety practices into your operations, you can minimize your risks and reduce your chances of making a claim.
Sentry offers comprehensive commercial vehicle insurance for owner-operators and fleet owners. The addition of safety programs helps truck drivers and carriers feel safer on the road.
Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance Discounts
Sentry is one of the few insurers that also accepts smaller transport companies. You can tailor your policies to your insurance needs and budget as you grow your business. Single truck owner-operators can start with the mandatory coverage requirements. On the other hand, established truck drivers can explore additional coverage if they are carrying higher-value cargo.
However, truckers get better deals by participating in Sentry’s discount programs, such as:
- Cargo Theft Prevention with CargoNet™
- Criminal Background Checks and MVR by IntelliCorp®
- drug and alcohol tests
- Online Mobile Security Training Powered by CarriersEdge®
- Video coaching and training with Lytx® DriveCam®
The Financial Strength Of Sentry
While reading dozens of Sentry semi truck reviews will give you a general understanding of the business, truck drivers should focus on financial strength. The reliability of an insurer largely depends on its financial resources.
Insurers who don’t have enough money to approve claims can turn down their policyholders by the thousands. In the worst case, the insurer could go bankrupt. Of course, bankrupt insurers still have to reimburse their losses. However, the repayment can take years.
Fortunately, Sentry truck insurance reviews show that the company has relatively strong financial ratings. Yes, Sentry is smaller than other insurers. However, the company also has more than a century of industry experience, which allows them to provide coverage in all 50 states.
The Benefits Of Working With Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance
Novices may find it confusing to navigate the various truck insurance providers. After all, there are dozens of insurers in the country. Between risk insurance specialists and cheap primary liability coverage, truck drivers may not know which policies to prioritize.
Various websites also assess these companies. A quick Google search will yield millions of results comparing the best truck insurers in your area. These pieces sometimes even have mixed opinions.
Hopefully, this short section will help newbies assess whether their trucking business is compatible with Sentry, one of the industry’s leading insurers. Instead of browsing Sentry trailer reviews online, do an in-person review first. Check out the unique benefits Sentry has to offer!
Flexible Coverage: Sentry prides itself on offering customizable coverage. Policyholders are free to adjust their policy coverage as high or as low as they need. On the other hand, other insurers set minimum policy conditions. While Sentry’s select truck insurance policies apply to a wide variety of truck drivers, they generally focus on providing accessible and affordable insurance for truck starters.
Experienced Claims Officers: Truckers can rest easy knowing Sentry handles their claims processing itself. They don’t outsource. With an in-house staff collecting and reviewing all their claims, they have significantly accelerated processing. Policyholders can even file a claim over the phone. You can also expect something from your team within a week or two of submitting a claim.
Safety Programs: Like most truck insurers, Sentry puts safety first. They offer a wide selection of safety training programs to minimize road accidents. In addition, they encourage the insured to participate with exclusive benefits. You can consult your local agent for a more detailed explanation of the benefits of each program.
Statewide Availability: Sentry is available in all 50 states. The company hires consultants at its satellite offices to prospect and represent the company. If you want Sentry truck and tractor insurance, please ask your agent.
Pros and Cons of Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance
Before making any insurance decisions, it’s essential to weigh the pros and cons. Let’s take a closer look at what Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance brings to the table.
- Customizable Policies: Sentry offers customizable insurance policies, allowing you to tailor coverage to your specific needs. This flexibility is particularly valuable in the trucking industry, where various types of vehicles and cargo require different levels of coverage.
- Financial Strength: According to AM Best, Sentry has an excellent financial rating of A+, indicating strong financial stability. This rating is essential, as it assures policyholders that the company can meet its financial obligations, especially when claims are made.
- Specialization: Sentry specializes in trucking insurance, which means they have in-depth knowledge of the industry’s unique challenges and requirements. This expertise can be a significant advantage when it comes to finding the right coverage.
- Superior Service: Sentry Insurance has received an A+ rating from A.M. Best for superior service, which is a testament to their commitment to providing excellent customer support.
- Roadside Assistance: If you encounter issues while on the road, Sentry offers roadside assistance coverage. This can be a lifesaver in situations where you need immediate help with your vehicle.
- Limited Market: Sentry primarily focuses on the commercial trucking industry. If you are looking for insurance outside of this sector, you may need to explore other providers.
- Small Size: Compared to some larger insurance companies, Sentry is relatively smaller. While this can have advantages, such as more personalized service, it may also mean that they have fewer resources to handle claims quickly.
3 Reasons Why You Need Company Car Insurance
If you are in the trucking industry or commercially working with trucks, here are three main reasons why you need commercial vehicle insurance in 2022.
1. Heavy trucks have many accidents.
Although it is one of the largest industries to increase national income, the truck industry causes many casualties on the road. Without adequate insurance to protect you from financial losses due to road deaths, cargo damage, and theft, your business could be heading for early bankruptcy.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reports that 11% of car accident deaths in the US are caused by large trucks colliding with other vehicles and people on highways, roads, and streets.
Other common risks for commercial trucks include:
- Fatigue of truck drivers
- Traffic flow
- Cargo theft, vandalism, and damage
- Natural causes (storm, rain, hail, etc.)
Insurance companies understand how important the trucking industry is to the economy. That’s why commercial truck insurance is specifically designed to meet the safety needs of truck owners and drivers.
2. Company car insurance is mandatory
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) will not allow your commercial fleet to operate without adequate insurance. The FMCSA assigns a specific Department of Transportation (DOT) number to registered commercial vehicles. However, if you do not show proof of insurance, your DOT number will not be assigned to you, preventing you from doing business.
3. The transport company is a big problem
According to the American Trucking Association, commercial trucks move about 72 percent of the country’s total freight each year. Statista reports that the number of registered trucks in the country has increased by about 81% in the past decade. Since much of the economy of the country relies on cargo transportation, it is your duty as a trucking company owner to insure your fleet, cargo, and drivers.
Fleet management software company Keep Truckin says starting a new trucking business with a single truck can cost you as much as $175,000. Add to that the cost of hiring drivers, maintenance costs, adding more trucks to your fleet, and miscellaneous expenses, and you’re looking at an investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars. A legal battle could end his dreams of becoming America’s largest fleet owner-operator if it doesn’t shut down his business, period.
Customer feedback is an excellent way to gauge the quality and reliability of an insurance provider. Let’s take a look at what customers are saying about Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance.
- Reliable Coverage: Many customers praise Sentry for its reliable coverage. They feel secure knowing that their trucks and cargo are protected, which is crucial in the trucking industry.
- Responsive Customer Service: Sentry’s customer service receives positive feedback for being responsive and helpful. Quick response times and efficient claims processing are highly appreciated by policyholders.
- Customization: The ability to customize policies is often mentioned as a significant advantage. Truck drivers and companies appreciate being able to tailor their coverage to their specific needs.
- Limited Market: Some customers find Sentry’s specialization in the trucking industry limiting. If you’re looking for insurance outside of this sector, you might need to look elsewhere.
- Claims Processing Time: While many customers praise Sentry for its responsiveness, a few have expressed concerns about the time it takes to process claims, particularly in the case of larger claims.
- Competitive Pricing: Sentry’s pricing is considered competitive, but some customers mention that it may not always be the most affordable option. It’s essential to compare quotes from multiple providers.
Keep in mind that individual experiences may vary, so it’s a good idea to gather quotes and compare customer reviews to make an informed decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance only for large trucking companies?
No, Sentry provides insurance solutions for both small-scale truck drivers and larger trucking companies. They offer customizable policies that can be tailored to your specific needs.
How do I file a claim with Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance?
To file a claim with Sentry, you should contact their customer service. They have a reputation for being responsive and helpful in processing claims efficiently.
Does Sentry offer coverage for cargo damage and loss?
Yes, Sentry provides cargo insurance, which covers the loss or damage of the goods you’re transporting. This is essential for trucking companies.
What is the financial strength rating of Sentry Insurance?
Sentry Insurance holds an A+ rating for financial strength from AM Best, indicating strong financial stability.
Can I get roadside assistance coverage with Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance?
Yes, Sentry offers roadside assistance coverage, which can be invaluable when you encounter issues while on the road.
Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance – Sentinel in a nutshell
In this complete review of Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance, we’ve explored the pros and cons of this specialized insurance provider, coverage options, and customer feedback. Sentry is a strong contender in the world of commercial truck insurance, with a focus on customization, financial stability, and specialized service.
Before choosing any insurance provider, it’s crucial to compare quotes, assess your unique needs, and consider customer feedback. Sentry’s commitment to the trucking industry and the ability to tailor policies make it a viable option for both small-scale truck drivers and larger trucking companies.
Remember that your choice of insurance provider plays a vital role in your peace of mind on the road. So, whether you’re an independent truck driver or a trucking company owner, make an informed decision that suits your needs and ensures the safety of your cargo and assets. Sentry Commercial Truck Insurance might just be the right choice for you!