How to withdraw money from Varo without a card? Want to withdraw money from your Varo account but don’t have a card with you? Although it can be a little tricky, it is, fortunately, possible to withdraw money from Varo without a card as long as you have a friend who uses a Varo card or you have another bank account to which you can transfer and withdraw money.
I will be the first to admit that I forgot my wallet or my Varo card at home. It’s an uncomfortable feeling, especially if you’re not 100 per cent sure your home is safe. So, what can we do? How to withdraw money from Varo without a card? We will be answering this question “how to withdraw money from Varo without card” very soon but does Varo offer cardless withdrawal?
Does Varo offer cardless withdrawals?
Simply put, you cannot use an ATM to withdraw money from Varo if you do not have a debit card.
While you can access free cash withdrawals from over 55,000 ATMs across the country (approximately 19,000 offer cardless withdrawal services), it is currently not possible to withdraw cash from any of these cardless ATMs as Varo has not yet launched the functionality to process these types of withdrawals.
Therefore, the only way to withdraw money from Varo is to use your debit card at an ATM or counter* at most major banks or credit unions. In that case, you must also show your debit card.
We have some workarounds for you that can help you in this case. Let’s see what they are.
You can’t even withdraw money from your Varo account without your card. While there are some cardless ATMs across the country, they are a long way off because at the moment only select banks in the US offer cardless ATMs, limiting your choices.
Fortunately, not all is lost. We have found some ways to help you ‘hack’ the system to withdraw money from your Varo account even if you forgot or lost your Varo card. You may:
- Send money to your friend’s account and ask him or her to withdraw the money
- Transfer money to another bank account
- View Card details in the Varo app
- Use Varo card via Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, or Cash app
How To Withdraw Money From Varo Without Card?
1. Send money to your friend’s account
Even if you forgot your Varo card, one of your friends may have theirs with them.
There is no charge for transferring money from Varo to another Varo account and transfers are instant. To send money to your friend with Varo:
- Log in to the Varo app
- Tap “Move Money” at the bottom of the screen
- Tap “Varo to Varo Transfer”
- Select a recipient by entering the email address of the person you are sending money to
- Enter the amount you want to send
- Check the transfer for the last time
- If the recipient information and the transfer amount are correct, tap ‘Send Money to complete the transfer
- Since transfers cannot be cancelled or reversed once they have been sent, you should check all the details.
If transferring to a friend’s account isn’t an option, why not ask them to lend you the amount you need?
2. Transfer money to another bank account
This method is not the best, to be honest, as it can take up to 2 days for transfers to complete. And there is also a lengthy process. But here are the steps to link an external account first in the Varo app:
- At the bottom of the Accounts page, tap “Link an account +”
- Select your external bank or search for it if you don’t see an icon
- If you see options when selecting your bank, choose the one with the web address where you normally log in online
- Enter your username and password and tap ‘Send’
- Follow your bank’s instructions, such as entering your phone number or email address and using a one-time password to set up
- Keep responding to Varo requests until you see your accounts and external balances appear in Accounts. Then you know you have been successfully linked
To transfer money from Varo to another account:
- Open the Varo app and tap ‘Move Money’ > ‘Send Money
- Select From the Varo bank account and To the account to which you want to receive the transfer
- See the transfer limit under the transfer amount
- Transfers to checking or savings accounts are limited to no more than $5,000 per transfer and $10,000 per month.
3. View card details in the Varo app
Even if you don’t have your Varo card with you, that doesn’t mean you can’t at least pay for things. You can always see your Varo card data in your app. Things like card number, expiration date, CVV, routing number, and account number can be seen.
You can use this data to pay for things online or even in person at, say, restaurants, cafes, or shops. To view your card details, open your Varo app and select ‘Account Details’. You will see all the card details you need.
4. Use the Varo card via Apple Pay
I’m using Apple Pay as an example, but it could be any digital wallet. You can easily set this up even without your card if you use the above step to get your card details.
To manually add a card to Apple Wallet:
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone and tap the ‘add’ (+) button
- Tap “Continue” then tap “Enter card details manually”
- Enter your card details and tap ‘Next’
- Fill in the requested information
- If you don’t see the Add button when you open the Wallet app, your device may be set to the wrong region.
It’s always easier to add your card to a wallet if you have the physical card handy, just snap a picture of it and you’re done. You don’t need to add all these numbers manually.
5. Use A Global Debit Card
If you don’t have a Varo card, lost it, or forgot it at home, the most effective way to withdraw cash is to use a prepaid debit card designed specifically for low-cost transactions, including ATM withdrawals.
By using a competitive travel card product, you can completely avoid ATM withdrawal fees, even when travelling abroad and spending money in foreign currencies. (The only charges you may incur in these cases could be network charges from the ATM itself or a small increase in the Visa or Mastercard exchange rate, although it depends on the card.)
If you travel abroad frequently, one of the best options available is opening a Wise Multi-Currency Account, which gives you access to an online checking account, balances in multiple currencies, and a Visa or Mastercard debit card.
Once you sign up and your card arrives (which takes up to 3 weeks in the US), you can enjoy the following exclusive features:
- Local bank details in the US, Eurozone, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Romania, Canada, Hungary, and Turkey;
- Hold, exchange, and load up to 56 coins;
- A multi-currency Mastercard debit card convenient for paying in foreign currencies with no hidden fees;
- Access Wise’s powerful international money transfer service directly from your account balance.
On the other hand, if you are looking for an alternative similar to Varo, we recommend Chime, which offers an online current account and no daily account management fees (including withdrawals at all ATMs belonging to the Allpoint network). Chime is one of the cheapest banking offers available and provides an excellent alternative to accounts like Varo for everyday banking needs.
We also recommend checking out our selection of the best banks for international travel (number one is one of the best options available for free international withdrawals).
What do you need?
- Proof of address;
- A valid ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport, social security card, etc.);
CONCLUSION – HOW TO WITHDRAW MONEY FROM VARO WITHOUT CARD
So these are your options for how to withdraw money from Varo without card. We hope we’ve made your life a little easier, even if these aren’t the perfect solutions.
It is always best to pre-link your Varo card to a service such as Apple Wallet, Google Pay, PayPal, or Cash App so that you can at least pay if you don’t have your physical card to hand.