MTN is one of the leading telecommunications companies in Nigeria, with millions of subscribers who use data daily. Data is essential for browsing the internet, streaming videos, downloading files, and using social media apps. However, sometimes you may run out of data when you need it the most. What can you do in such a situation?
Fortunately, MTN has a solution for you. You can borrow data from MTN using the XtraByte service. This service allows you to borrow data on credit and pay back on your next recharge. This way, you can stay connected and enjoy your online activities without interruption.
In this article, you will learn how to borrow data on MTN in Nigeria using different methods. You will also find out the eligibility criteria, service fees, and repayment terms for using the XtraByte service. Additionally, you will get some useful tips and tricks to save data and avoid running out of it.
So, if you want to know how to borrow data on MTN in Nigeria, keep reading this article.
How to Borrow Data on MTN in Nigeria
The XtraByte service is available to all eligible MTN prepaid customers. To be eligible, you must:
- Be a prepaid customer
- Have registered your number
- Have been on the MTN network for more than 3 months
- Have spent at least N200 monthly for 3 months
- Have between N0 and N75 in your main account
- Have paid up any outstanding XtraByte loan request
If you meet these criteria, you can borrow data from MTN using any of the following methods:
How To Borrow Data on MTN in Nigeria Method 1: Using USSD Code
This is the easiest and fastest way to borrow data from MTN. All you need to do is:
- On your phone, dial *606# and select XtraByte.
- The system will display all the data bundles that you can borrow.
- Select your preferred data plan from the list.
- The system will send you a message with the amount plus the applicable service fee.
- Confirm the transaction.
Once you confirm your transaction, the system will deduct the service fee from your main account. Your line will be loaded with the selected data bundle. The bundle fee and applicable service charge will be debited from your account when you recharge your account.
How To Borrow Data on MTN in Nigeria Method 2: Using IVR
This is another way to borrow data from MTN using the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) option. To use this method, follow these steps:
- On your phone, dial 303.
- The system will play an announcement for you to select your preferred language. The available options are English, Igbo, Hausa, and Yoruba.
- Upon selecting your preferred language, you will be required to select XtraByte.
- The system will play out all the data amounts that you can borrow.
- Choose your preferred data plan from the list.
- The system will send you a message with the amount and applicable service fee.
- Confirm the transaction.
The bundle fee and applicable service charge will be debited from your main account on your next recharge.
XtraByte Plans and Service Fees
MTN offers different data plans that you can borrow depending on your needs and eligibility. The table below summarizes the XtraByte plans, prices, service fees, and validity periods.
|1GB + 3min
|350MB + 3min
|1GB + 5min
|600MB + 3min
|1.2GB + 5min
|1.5GB + 5min
|3GB + 5min
|4GB + 10min
|8GB + 15min
|12GB + 25min
|20GB + 25min
You can check the available data plans by dialing *606# or 303 and selecting XtraByte.
How to Repay Your XtraByte Loan
When you borrow data from MTN, you are expected to repay it on your next recharge. The system will automatically deduct the amount you owe from your main account. You can also repay your loan manually by dialing *606# or 303 and selecting XtraRepay.
If you do not repay your loan within 30 days, you will be barred from using the XtraByte service until you clear your debt. You will also be charged a late payment fee of 0.5% per day.
Eligibility to Borrow Data to MTN Nigeria
Not every user of the MTN network is authorized to use the XtraByte service. To be eligible for the service, you must meet the following criteria;
- You must have paid all outstanding XtraByte credit requests
- You must have registered your MTN number
- You must be a prepaid customer of MTN Nigeria
- You must have been using the MTN SIM card for more than 3 months to qualify
- You must have spent at least N200 monthly for at least 3 months
- You must have between N0 and N75 in your main account
What are the service costs?
When borrowing data from MTN Nigeria, keep in mind that you will have to pay a service fee. But how much do you get billed? Well, the information gathered shows that for every data package you borrow from MTN Nigeria, you will be charged a 15.36% service fee (including VAT). The mentioned service costs are settled with the data package that you have borrowed and your main account is debited with the package amount plus the service costs.
How much data can you borrow from MTN Nigeria?
The amount of data that a person can borrow from MTN Nigeria depends on the profile of the client.
Several factors, including how much data you load regularly and how long you’ve been on the web. When you start your loan application, you will be presented with the smallest and highest amount of data you can borrow.
When must the loan be repaid?
When you borrow data on MTN Nigeria, you are expected to repay the loan on your next top-up. This means that the next time you charge your phone with Airtime, the airtime equivalent of the borrowed data will be immediately debited from your account. Learn how to borrow data on mtn without paying back here.
Is it possible to transfer borrowed data?
The obvious answer to this question is, “No!” You cannot transfer data that you have borrowed from MTN Nigeria to another MTN number. However, you can share your data with someone else if you purchased that data in the normal way.
Is it better to use borrowed airtime to buy data or just borrow data?
The answer to this question depends on you, the customer who wants to take out a loan. If you need both airtime and data and you don’t have the money to buy it right now, you’ll have to borrow airtime from the network, buy some data with it, and save the remaining airtime for calls you need to contact.
However, if you only need data, it is better to borrow the data directly without borrowing airtime first.
Tips and Tricks to Save Data and Avoid Running Out of It
Borrowing data from MTN is a convenient way to stay online when you run out of data. However, it is not advisable to rely on it all the time. Borrowing data comes with a service fee and a repayment obligation. Therefore, you should try to save data and avoid running out of it as much as possible.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you save data and avoid running out of it:
- Monitor your data usage and set a limit. You can use the MyMTN app or dial 1314# to check your data balance and usage. You can also set a data limit on your phone settings to prevent exceeding your data plan.
- Turn off background data for apps that you do not use frequently. Some apps may consume data in the background even when you are not using them. You can turn off background data for such apps on your phone settings to save data.
- Use data-saving modes on your browser and apps. Some browsers and apps have data-saving modes that reduce the amount of data they use. You can enable these modes on your browser and app settings to save data.
- Avoid streaming or downloading high-quality videos or music. Streaming or downloading high-quality videos or music can consume a lot of data. You can reduce the quality or resolution of the videos or music on your streaming or downloading app settings to save data.
- Use Wi-Fi whenever possible. If you have access to a Wi-Fi network, you can use it instead of your mobile data to save data. You can also use Wi-Fi to download large files or update your apps.
- Buy data bundles that suit your needs and budget. MTN offers different data bundles that you can choose from depending on your needs and budget. You can dial 1311# or use the MyMTN app to buy data bundles that suit you.
FAQs – How To Borrow Data on MTN in Nigeria
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about how to borrow data on MTN in Nigeria.
How do I check if I am eligible for the XtraByte service?
You can check your eligibility by dialing *606# or 303 and selecting XtraByte. The system will display the data bundles that you can borrow. If you are not eligible, the system will inform you of the reason.
How much can I borrow from MTN?
The amount of data that you can borrow from MTN depends on your eligibility and the available data plans. You can borrow as low as 40MB and as high as 20GB.
How do I check my XtraByte balance?
You can check your XtraByte balance by dialing *606# or 303 and selecting XtraBalance. The system will display your outstanding XtraByte loan amount and the available balance in your main account.
Can I borrow data more than once before repaying?
No, you can only borrow data once before repaying. You must clear your outstanding XtraByte loan before you can borrow data again.
Can I use the XtraByte service to buy other services or products?
No, you can only use the XtraByte service to borrow data. You cannot use it to buy other services or products such as voice, SMS, or value-added services.
Can I transfer my XtraByte data to another MTN number?
No, you cannot transfer your XtraByte data to another MTN number. The XtraByte data is non-transferable and can only be used by the borrower.
Can I rollover my XtraByte data?
No, you cannot rollover your XtraByte data. The XtraByte data has a fixed validity period depending on the plan you choose. You must use up your XtraByte data within the validity period or it will expire.
In this article, you have learned how to borrow data on MTN in Nigeria using the XtraByte service. You have also learned the eligibility criteria, service fees, and repayment terms for using the service. Additionally, you have learned some tips and tricks to save data and avoid running out of it.
We hope that this article has been helpful and informative for you. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you for reading and have a great day.