How Do I Unlock A Total Wireless Phone? Is it possible to unlock an iPhone 5s with a Total Wireless provider? Can you please show me how? Thank you very much!
Are you one of those people who got pulled into an attractive data plan?
You are not alone.
Many people see really good data plans – whether it’s unlimited data or free roaming charges – and can’t resist the temptation. After a few months, most people realize that things are not going as well as they thought and want to change airlines for a better plan.
What are Total Wireless Locked Phones?
If you’ve been using a cell phone for a while, you’ve probably heard about locked and unlocked phones. This does not refer to phones that have their screen locked, but rather whether they are locked by a single carrier or whether they are unlocked and able to work on another carrier’s network.
This means that the Total Wireless locked phones are the ones that are locked to the Total Wireless service and cannot work on other networks. On the other hand, the unlocked Total Wireless phones can accept any other SIM card and can be used on the networks of other carriers.
Depending on your carrier, you may need to unlock your Total Wireless phone before doing this, which is exactly what we’re going to explain in this article.
Things to know before unlocking Total wireless devices
There are 3 things you need to know before unlocking your phone.
There is no way to unlock a Blacklisted Total Wireless Phone
It is important to mention that if you want to unblock Total Wireless phones or phones that are connected to a carrier, you need to blacklist them.
What do we mean?
Blacklists are lists of phones that have been reported lost or stolen. If your phone is blacklisted, it cannot be unlocked by the carrier. The only way to get a carrier to unblock your phone is to blacklist your phone first – there is absolutely no other way.
So how do you know if your phone is blacklisted?
We recommend that you use WipeLock IMEI Checker, a unique and informative tool that gives you a detailed report about your phone. Unlike other IMEI checkers that generate IMEI reports from an outdated database, WipeLock manually checks your IMEI to make sure the report is 100% correct.
If your report comes back saying that the phone is blacklisted, then you know that you need to address that problem before trying to unlock it.
Total Wireless Phone Unlock Code
The Total Wireless phone unlock code is a PIN code that allows you to unlock your phone. To get the unlock code, you need to send an unlock request to Total Wireless or a third-party unlocking service.
One thing to keep in mind is that Network Unlock Code is designed for Android phones only. It is not available for iPhones. After receiving your iPhone unlock request, your carrier or third party will unlock your iPhone wirelessly (remotely), meaning no network unlock code is needed.
So don’t be fooled by those who claim that they can offer network unlock codes for iPhones. They are scammers!
Will Total Wireless Unlock on my phone automatically?
Total Wireless will not automatically unlock your phone even when the contract expires. You must send an unlock request.
To know whether your phone is unlocked or not, just insert another SIM card into your phone. If you see the message “SIM invalid” or “SIM not supported”, it will be blocked.
How Do I Unlock A Total Wireless Phone?
When trying to unlock your Total Wireless phone, we usually recommend two solutions: using a third-party service or contacting your phone’s carrier directly. We’ll show you both solutions.
Using the DirectUnlocks service to unlock your Total Wireless iPhone/Samsung/LG/…
Starting with the third-party service, we chose DirectUnlocks and we just couldn’t recommend it more. For about $28 (prices vary slightly depending on your phone model), you can easily unlock your phone.
DirectUnlocks supports most brands of phones – you can unlock your Total Wireless iPhone, Samsung, LG, Huawei, HTC, Sony, and 7 more brands.
This is also a hands-on experience, which means the pros at DirectUnlocks do everything they can so you don’t have to!
- Step 1 – Go to DirectUnlocks’ official website and use the lists to select your country and the network your phone is locked to.
- Step 2 – Locate your phone’s IMEI number and enter it in the space provided. You can find this by dialing *#06# or by looking in the Settings > About menu.
- Step 3 – Confirm the model of your device which will be detected automatically, enter your email address and then click Unlock for a SIM card.
- Step 4 – Then check the box to agree to the terms of service and click on one of the payment options. Follow the on-screen instructions to make payment and complete your order.
- Step 5 – The delivery time is different for Android phones and iPhones. They usually deliver the Total Wireless Android phone unlock code within 6 hours. For iPhone, they unlock it instantly within 24 hours.
That’s all you have to do. Once you’ve placed and paid for an order, you don’t have to do anything else and within 24 hours you’ll have an unlocked phone that can connect to any carrier you want.
DirectUnlocks offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, which means you’ll get your full money back if your iPhone isn’t unlocked. So far we haven’t used this option as DirectUnlocks unlocked all of our tested phones.
It’s worth a try and you’ll love it!
Contact carrier – How Do I Unlock A Total Wireless Phone
Your alternative method of How do I Unlock A Total Wireless Phone is to contact your carrier to unlock your Total Wireless phone. Be warned that while this is just as effective as a method, the process is not as smooth as if you decide to use a third-party service.
Specifically, with Total Wireless, there are a few criteria that you must meet as outlined in the Unblocking Policy.
Total Wireless Unlock Policy
Most importantly, your phone is not blacklisted. In this case, you cannot request an unlock until it has been removed from the blacklist (e.g. if your phone has been stolen, locked, or linked to fraudulent activity).
Your phone must have been connected to your carrier’s Total Wireless network for at least 12 months and your Total Wireless account must be healthy.
If the carrier deems you don’t meet the criteria they have set (it’s up to them whether your account is in good standing or not), they may deny your carrier unlock request.
Total wireless unlock cost
Total Wireless only unlocks your phone if you’re a member (which means you have to be the original owner). Non-members charge according to your phone plan.
Steps to send the Total Wireless unlock request
Follow these steps to send a Total Wireless to unlock request:
- Step 1. Find your phone’s IMEI number. You can dial *#06#.
- Step 2. Call Total Wireless at 1-866-663-3633 and provide the required information (usually the IMEI number). They will check if you have permission to unlock.
- Step 3. If you have permission to unlock your Total Wireless phone,
Total Wireless will generate an unlock code for you. To activate your phone, simply insert a third-party SIM card and then enter the unlock code to unlock your phone.
After you get the notification that your iPhone is unlocked by Total Wireless, just insert a new SIM card and enjoy!
Unlock Total Wireless Phones Requirements:
- Customers must have activated their locked device for the Total Wireless service for at least 12 months, redeemed airtime cards in at least 12 months, and their phone number must not be recycled or transferred.
- Customers must request this interim unlock solution while their service is active or within 60 days of the end of their active service days. This 60-day grace period applies even if the customer’s phone number has been reused or transferred.
- Customers must currently own a Total Wireless/TracFone branded cell phone model introduced after February 11, 2014, for Total Wireless service or activated with Total Wireless service after February 11, 2015.
- Customers must have a working handset.
- Customers must own a handset that has not been reported as stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
- If a customer requesting handset unlock uses military personnel, Total Wireless will, after providing the implementation documents, honor the customer’s unlocking request by sending a refund of the trade-in value of the used, locked phone provided by the customer, excluding the 12-month service activation and of the flight ticket redemption requirements have been returned. However, all other eligibility criteria apply to Total Wireless customers employing military personnel.
- Customers are only entitled to unlock once every 12 months.
- Customers must request handset unlocking.
NOTE: Total Wireless may deny any unlock request that would result in abuse of its unlock policy or is part of an attempt to defraud Total Wireless or its customers. Total Wireless/TracFone’s unlock policy is subject to change without notice.
Steps for How Do I Unlock A Total Wireless Phone:
- Make sure you meet all of the above conditions. To make things easier for you, go to https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com where you can check if your phone can be unlocked by entering the phone number or serial number and clicking the ‘CHECK FITNESS’ button below. You can also verify your eligibility by calling 1-888-442-5102.
- If you qualify, you MUST request your phone to be unlocked. Call Total Wireless Support at 1-866-663-3633. Their call center hours are: 8:00 am – 11:45 pm (EST), 7 days a week.
- They give you an unlock code that you put into your phone. They give you detailed instructions as they vary slightly from device to device.
- Once you’ve unlocked your phone, you can use it with almost any other carrier that’s compatible with your device. Compatibility should be checked with that particular carrier.
What can I do with my Total Wireless phone if Total Wireless refuses to unlock it?
As mentioned above, Total Wireless is required by law to unlock your device. If this is not possible, you are entitled to a trade-in value of your phone, but both options require the list of requirements (as shown in the previous section) to be met.
So if Total Wireless refuses to unlock your device, it means that your or your device does not meet the required conditions. In this case, you have the opportunity to turn to alternative options.
There are several gray hat options, but by far the easiest and quickest way is to find an unlocking company that will give you an unlock code based on your phone’s IMEI number. There are many unlocking companies online and they have a wide range of prices.
List of reputable third-party unlocking services:
- Official iPhone Unlock – BEST FOR iPhones
- DoctorSIM activation service
- unlock base
- iPhone IMEI – another option for iPhones
- phone unlocked
- unlock cell
- DirectUnlocks – they deliver very fast results and promise to unlock your phone in less than six hours.
Alternative free option:
- Trycktill – a software that allows you to unlock many types of phones.
- Nokia-Free – an app that has reported great unlocking results. You just install the app on your phone and use it to unlock your device.
- Unlockitfree – Just visit the official website where you will be asked to enter your phone’s IMEI number and get an unlock code in return.
NOTE: Free alternative options are not a reliable method and often do not work.
Pros and cons of an unlocked phone?
For us, there are only advantages to SIM-free phones. Having a device that works on any network and accepts any SIM card gives you ultimate freedom and variety. You can simply insert the SIM card of any operator (domestic or international), turn on the phone, and enjoy the connection.
It has also been reported that unlocked phones get updates first, which is also handy.
If you buy unlocked phones, note that you have to pay for the phone in full. So this can be a small disadvantage for those of you who prefer to pay for your phone in 24 monthly installments.
FAQ – How Do I Unlock A Total Wireless Phone
How to activate a Total Wireless SIM card?
Like many cell phone providers these days, Total Wireless lets you activate your SIM cards online. You need to visit their official website and hover over the “Activate” item on the top menu bar. A drop-down menu will appear in which you can choose between the options “Activate” and “Add rule”. Click on the previous one. This will take you to the next page where you need to select the type of product you want to activate. There are three options, you will most likely choose between the ‘full cordless phone’ and ‘bring your device’. Under the option that corresponds to your case, click on the “Next” button.
Then simply follow the instructions and complete the process. Have your SIM card kit ready. In the case of the BYOF option, you will need to enter your device’s IMEI to check compatibility again.
If you have any problems, contact Total Wireless Support at 1-866-663-3633. Their call center hours are: 8:00 am – 11:45 pm (EST), 7 days a week.
How do I check Total Wireless compatible phones?
If you intend to use your existing phone with Total Wireless services, make sure it is compatible with their SIM cards. They have a handy online tool where you can do just that.
Visit the Total Wireless official website. Once on the homepage, hover your mouse cursor over the “Shop” item in the top menu bar (it’s the first item on the left). You will then be presented with a drop-down menu. Click on the third option which should read “Buy SIM card / BYOP”. This will take you to another page where you will have to scroll down until you see the “Check Compatibility” button, which will eventually take you to the page where you can check your phone’s compatibility with Total Wireless services. Once you click the “Check Compatibility” button, you will first see a “Terms and Conditions” prompt that you must accept to continue.
Follow the instructions, enter your phone’s IMEI, and click on the “Next” button to finally find out if you can use this phone with a Total Wireless SIM card.
What unlocked phones do Total Wireless offer?
As mentioned above, Total Wireless does not offer unlocked phones. All their devices are locked by default. However, once the conditions are met (according to their unlocking policy, which we presented to you above), you can request your device to be unlocked.
With that in mind, any Total Wireless device can be unlocked once the conditions are met. Therefore, we have decided to introduce you to the phones (both new and refurbished) currently available in the Total Wireless online store. See more Total Wireless compatible phones
- IPHONE 12 64GB – BLACK
- IPHONE 12 PRO MAX 64GB – SPACE GRAY
- IPHONE 12 PRO 64GB – GOLD
- IPHONE SE 64GB
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S22 5G
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S22+ 5G
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S22 ULTRA 5G
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S21 5G
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S21+ 5G
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S21 ULTRA 5G
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S20 5G
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S20+ 5G
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S20 ULTRA 5G
- IPHONE 6S GOLD 128GB
- IPHONE 6S ROSE GOLD 32GB
- IPHONE 6S PLUS SPACE GREY 32GB
- IPHONE 7 32GB BLACK
- IPHONE 7 32GB BLACK
- IPHONE 7 PLUS ROSE GOLD 32GB
- SAMSUNG GALAXY A10E (S102DL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY A50 (S506DL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY A20 (S205DL)
- LG JOURNEY™ LTE (L322DL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY J2 (S260DL)
- LG STYLO™ 5 LTE (L722DL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY J3 ORBIT (S367VL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE10 – AURA GLOW (SILVER)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE10+ – AURA GLOW (SILVER)
- LG STYLO™ 3 (L84VL)
- ZTE Z233 (Z233VL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S8+ BLACK (G955U1C)
- MOTO G6 (XT1925DL)
- IPHONE XR CORAL 64GB
- SAMSUNG GALAXY J7 CROWN (S767VL)
- MOTO G7 OPTIMO (XT1952DL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE8 (N950U1C)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S9 (G960U1C)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S9+ (G965U1C)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE9 (OCEAN BLUE)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S10+ PRISM BLACK (G975U1)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S10 PRISM BLACK (G973U1)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S10E PRISM BLACK (G970U1)
- IPHONE XS MAX GOLD 64GB
- LG SOLO LTE (L423DL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 (G930VL)
- LG REBEL 4 (L212VL)
- IPHONE 6 PLUS SILVER 16GB
- IPHONE XS SPACE GRAY 64GB
- ZTE MAJESTY™ PRO PLUS
- MOTO E5 (XT1920DL)
- TCL LX (A502DL)
- ALCATEL MYFLIP™ (A405DL)
- IPHONE 6 GRAY 32GB
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S8 GREY (G950U1C)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY LUNA PRO
- IPHONE 8 64GB SPACE GRAY
- IPHONE 8 PLUS 64GB GOLD
- IPHONE X 64GB SPACE GRAY
- ZTE ZFIVE C LTE (Z558VL)
- MOTO G7 OPTIMO MAXX (XT1955DL)
- IPHONE 11 64GB – BLACK
- IPHONE 11 PRO MAX 64GB – SPACE GRAY
- IPHONE 11 PRO 64GB – GOLD
- IPHONE 8+ SPACE GRAY 256GB
- LG PREMIER PRO LTE (L413DL)
- LG REBEL™ 3 LTE® (L158VL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY J7 CROWN (S767VL)
- LG REBEL 4 (L212VL)
- SAMSUNG GALAXY S9
- SAMSUNG GALAXY J3 ORBIT (S367VL)
- ALCATEL MYFLIP™ (A405DL)
- LG PREMIER PRO LTE (L413DL)
- IPHONE 6 SPACE GREY 32GB
- IPHONE SE 32GB ROSE GOLD
What Other Carriers Support Total Wireless Unlocked Phones?
Verizon is the safest bet. In general, any carrier that offers a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) option should accept Total Wireless unlocked phones that are 4G LTE capable.
Before 2015, there were compatibility issues between the GSM and CDMA networks, but with the birth of LTE, these issues were overcome as both types started using interchangeable SIM cards.
How do I know if my unlocked phone works with another carrier?
Any carrier that offers a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) option has a dedicated website where you can check your phone’s compatibility. This is a sensible step before ordering a SIM card.
However, if you already have a SIM card, you can put it in your phone, turn it on and see if it connects to the network. If so and you can make calls, your phone is compatible.
NOTE: Compatibility may not be 100%, which means that in some cases certain specific actions or tasks may be slightly limited. You can see how to switch phone providers
What does MVNO mean?
MVNO stands for Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO), a reseller of wireless communication services. An MVNO rents wireless capacity (in effect, buys “minutes”) from a third-party mobile network operator (MNO) at wholesale prices and resells it to consumers under its corporate brand at discounted retail prices.
What to do if you have forgotten your Total Wireless Service PIN?
If you have forgotten your PIN and entered it incorrectly three times, you will need your PUK number. If you don’t have your PUK number, call Total Wireless support and they will tell you your next options. Worst case scenario, buy a new SIM card and transfer your number to it.
Can I use my Total Wireless SIM card on another phone?
Yes, you can always put a Total Wireless SIM card in another phone. Whether it will work and allow you to use Total Wireless services, however, will depend on the phone that is unlocked or otherwise compatible.
Can You Use a Total Wireless Phone with Verizon?
Yes, Total Wireless phones can be used with Verizon, but they must be unlocked first.
Conclusion – How Do I Unlock A Total Wireless Phone
Figuring out how do I unlock a total wireless phone may seem impossible. A few Google searches can make the unlocking process intimidating and put you off the idea.
However, now that you have a better understanding of what to expect, you should have no problem unlocking your phone.
While you can try going directly to the carrier and request an unlock, we recommend DirectUnlocks. Using this service almost guarantees that the unlock will be successful while the carrier can deny your unlock request if they choose to do so.