How To Get A Job In Canada As A Foreigner?
How to get a job in Canada as a foreigner? Canada is a multicultural country in northern North America. It is the second largest country in the world, measuring almost ten million square kilometers. Canada is consistently ranked as one of the best countries in the world to live in. It’s easy to see why thousands of people choose Canada every year.
From its strong, stable economy and vibrant, cosmopolitan cities to the breathtaking beauty of its natural surroundings, Canada offers newcomers opportunities and a quality of life that is second to none. There are many places in Canada where you can look for jobs. Below is a complete guideline on how to get a job in Canada as a foreigner.
Is It Easy To Get A Job In Canada As A Foreigner?
Honestly no. It takes time and Canadian standards are high.
You are expected to have a high-quality CV, be fluent in English or French (depending on the field) and have relevant work experience.
You also need a work visa.
However, there are many skilled immigrant jobs in Canada, and there are jobs that are really in high demand.
Some of the major careers in Canada are:
- Software developer
- Cloud architect
- Hr managers
If you are one of them, finding a job in Canada shouldn’t be too difficult for you.
Canada also needs tech workers of any kind – bad. Canada’s hungriest industries are in the STEM category – science, engineering, engineering, and math, followed by healthcare and social welfare.
If you’re a professional in another field, don’t despair. The situation improves. More than a quarter of Canada’s workforce is current immigrants.
And as the baby boomer generation is retiring, companies need to look beyond national borders. Canadian politicians are aware of this and are therefore willing to hire more workers from other countries.
How To Get A Job In Canada As A Foreigner?
How To Get A Job In Canada As A Foreigner Using Online Job Search In Canada?
The best place for foreigners to look for a job in Canada is online. Online recruitment websites allow you to search based on your criteria such as industry, salary, and region. You can also post your resume on websites so companies looking for specific skills can find you.
- Linkedin: This professional social networking site allows you to find jobs through your extensive network. In addition, you can join groups, join conversations and follow companies that you find interesting and relevant to your job search.
- Government of Canada: The Government of Canada website contains useful links for finding jobs in Canada.
- Glassdoor Canada: the Canadian version of the major US job site Glassdoor.com
- Indeed.ca: The Canadian version of the major US job site Indeed.com.
- Monster.ca: One of the most visited job sites in the world.
- CareerBuilder Canada: The Canadian version of the international careers site CareerBuilder
- Eluta.ca: another search engine with various job offers
- Jobillico: My favorite job search engine in Canada. Jobillico shows the best vacancies that match your profile.
- Jobboom.com: Latest jobs in Quebec
- Torontojobs.ca: The best job board in Toronto.
- Careerjet.ca: CareerJet is another global board with a Canadian version
- Craigslist.ca: The world’s largest classifieds site also has a strong presence in Canada.
- Google Jobs: Google recently added Google for Jobs to its search capabilities.
- WOWJobs.ca: Great job search engine in Canada
How To Get A Job In Canada As A Foreigner Via Recruitment Companies In Canada?
There are a few recruitment agencies in Canada. Below is a list of credible staffing agencies in Canada
- Work Global Canada: The company uses its global network of recruiters to attract foreign workers in industries ranging from engineering to agriculture to healthcare
- Canada Connect is an immigration consultancy that can streamline the process for those looking to work in Canada
- International Immigration Employment and Recruiting of Canada is a national and international employment agency for anyone seeking employment in the province of Alberta.
- Euro Labor Infusion is an employment agency focused on finding qualified foreign workers for Canadian employers
- Michael Page: An international executive recruitment website.
How To Get A Job In Canada As A Foreigner Facts:
In January 2019, Stats Canada reported that the national unemployment rate was just 4.8%. This means that the current job market is highly competitive.
Temporary Work in Canada: Each year, thousands of people travel to Canada for temporary work through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Temporary workers help Canadian employers overcome the lack of employees with specific skills or work experience. To work temporarily for most jobs in Canada, you may need a temporary resident visa. Check the requirements at www.cic.gc.ca/visit to find out if you need a visa and how you can qualify.
Before applying to immigrate to Canada, it is important to consider the requirements for working in Canada, including steps you may need to take to transfer your education, qualifications, and experience as a professional, technical, or skilled worker.
Well, there you have it, folks. The Best Places to Find Foreign Jobs in Canada.
How To Get A Job In Canada As A Foreigner
If you’re considering looking for a job in Canada, you probably have your reasons for moving. Whether it’s family, quality of life, adventure, new life, politics, or anything else, keep in mind that the process can take a long time.
And you need to prepare your documents in advance.
How to find a job in Canada as a foreigner:
Search for vacancies.
If you are not Canadian or do not have permanent residence in the country, you should first search job boards or explore your network. In other words, find a job.
Make a job offer.
This is important as you must have a confirmed job offer from a Canadian employer before applying for permanent residency in Canada.
Apply for a work permit.
Once you get a job, you can apply for a temporary work permit to legally work in the country.
Choose a skilled worker permit.
That is if you are planning to live and stay in Canada permanently in the future.
Apply through a system called Express Entry.
This is the right step if you have not received a job offer. You can apply via Express Entry if you are an experienced foreigner. The wisest first step, then, is to read the terms and see if you even qualify for such a permit.
An alternative option is to be invited by the province or area through the Provincial Nominee Program.
This program is for skilled workers who have “the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or region”. Don’t know the province that well.
Apply for a special work permit.
This possibility is intended for certain groups of workers, such as “Special work permit programs for live-in caregivers, tradesmen, and farm workers”.
How to incorporate a company in Canada as a foreigner?
If being an employee isn’t your thing and you’d rather become a Canadian employer, there’s a way too.
If you are considering running your startup in Canada as a foreigner, you can get help with this. The Canada Entry Visa is the first program of its kind in the world.
As a successful applicant, you can relocate to Canada and obtain permanent residency status with no requirements for the success of your business. Sounds good right?
Aside from the basic criteria, all that is required is to “obtain commitments from a designated Canadian angel investor group or venture capital fund to invest in your business idea.” Visit Canada.ca for complete information.
Canada-specific resume and cover letter tips
Now that you’re browsing the job boards, you probably need to upload or send your resume and cover letter.
What Canada Rules for Resumes and Cover Letters Should You Follow?
- Never reveal your age, ethnicity, or appearance. For this reason, we also recommend that you do not include a photo on your Canadian CV.
- Also, avoid disclosing your personal information such as relationship status or sexual orientation. Nobody cares and it’s irrelevant to the job.
- Always adapt your CV to a specific job offer. Just changing details can take you far.
- Use keywords. Most recruiters in Canada use online tools to select the best resumes.
- If possible, include international experience in your CV, even if it is a voluntary position. Show that you are not afraid to relocate and adapt to a new culture.
Cover letter tips
In Canada, much of the cover letter should talk about the company itself. Show your knowledge of the company and explain why you want to work for them.
Show why you are the perfect match for the role. Don’t just repeat the information on your resume.
Never forget to include the date, the recruiter’s name, their address, your address, and a polite goodbye.
Popular Cities To Work In Canada
Canada is a huge country with different weather patterns, cultures, and languages in its different parts. Therefore, make sure that the area you choose for your life is a good fit for you. Find out before you decide to move.
If you don’t mind at all and it’s important to you to find a job, the top 5 cities with the most job openings are:
- Kelowna, British Columbia
- Quebec City, Quebec
- Calgary, Alberta
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Abbotsford, British Columbia
What might surprise you is that some of the biggest cities like Toronto or Montreal aren’t even on the list!
However, if you like the big city life, you can also look for a job there. There are also many job opportunities.
Canada Salaries – How To Get A Job In Canada As A Foreigner?
One of the main reasons people move to Canada is the good quality of life, which is also guaranteed by the high wages.
- The median salary in Canada is $54,630/year
- The minimum wage is $15.55/hour
- The highest median salaries (earned by doctors) are $150,000 per year
However, always pay attention to the region-specific life insurance policies. How much you pay for services or rent can vary significantly in different parts of Canada.
How to recognize a fake job posting?
Job scams are on the rise, especially in the immigration world. As Canada’s leading immigration law firm, our priority is to ensure that we make every effort to ensure that our clients do not commit errors or fraud during their immigration journey, such as avoiding a fake job offer.
First of all, you should know that asking someone to pay for a Canadian job or cover letter is illegal. Each cover letter must be on the company’s official letterhead and include contact information.
What languages should you speak if you are a foreigner looking to get a job in Canada?
If you decide to move permanently to another country, you will be expected to learn at least the basics of one of the country’s two official languages.
The two languages are English and French.
Official government agencies cover both languages. Take Quebec, for example. The official language here is French. However, the constitution requires that all laws be made in both French and English and that court proceedings be conducted in both languages.
However, you must be careful when choosing the city or province as some parts may be more difficult to make friends. That is if you don’t speak the majority language in the area.
If you don’t speak at least one of the official languages well, it will be very difficult for you to find a good job. It is a necessity as you will be competing for positions with native speakers. You must prove to your potential employer that you have a good command of the language.
This post has shown you how to get a job in Canada as a foreigner, follow the instructions above and you will find it easy to get a job in Canada as a foreigner.