How to connect phone to smart tv without wifi? Nobody likes to watch programs on their phone. Don’t we all love a big screen? Wondering how to connect phone to smart tv without wifi?
Fortunately, there are a few ways to watch Netflix, YouTube, or anything else on your Smart TV. Yes, true! Well, as long as you have WiFi.
But if for some reason you can’t access it or it’s inactive, does that mean you can’t stream to your TV anymore? No, you can! While it’s true that things can get a little tricky without wireless internet, don’t worry.
How To Connect Phone To Smart TV Without Wifi?
Below we’ll cover all the ways to stream to your TV without Wi-Fi, so keep reading.
If you’re wondering how to stream to your smart TV without a WiFi connection, here are some ways:
Using Google Chromecast – How to connect phone to smart tv without wifi
One of the best ways for how to connect phone to smart tv without wifi is using Google Chromecast. Chromecast is a small device introduced by Google that fits into the HDMI port of your TV. Now you usually need a wireless connection to use Chromecast, but here are some ways around that:
Configure the mobile hotspot:
Instead of a wireless network, you can use 4G data and turn your smartphone into a wireless router and stream to the big screen.
Here are all the steps in detail:
- First, connect a USB cable to your Chromecast device and plug the other end into a power source (no matter what generation of Chromecast you’re using).
- After the device is turned on, press and hold the power button until the flashing light is solid. This will reset your device.
- Then connect the other end of the device to the HDMI port on your TV. You are done with the Chromecast part.
- Now you need to bring two smartphones or a smartphone and another tablet/laptop.
- Turn on mobile data, then turn on the hotspot on your smartphone (make sure you have enough data as you will be using it to stream content). Set this phone aside as it will now act as a wireless router.
- Connect your second device to the hotspot on your phone. Just turn on wifi and search for your phone name.
- Okay, you’re halfway there. The next step is to connect the Chromecast to the hotspot, so go ahead and download the Google Home app.
- Then open the app, choose your email address, choose ‘Add another property and give it a name.
- Google Home will now search for nearby devices and prompt you to connect to your specific Chromecast device. Click yes.
- Now the app will generate a code that will be visible on your mobile phone screen and your TV screen. Check this out.
- Then you have to choose a network for the Chromecast. Select the hotspot of your smartphone as a wireless connection.
- You are done! Select an app such as Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime Video, etc., and stream.
Stream local content with third-party apps
What if you don’t want to use all your mobile data for streaming? Well, for situations like staying in a hotel or a trailer, you can use Google Chromecast and a third-party app to view previously saved content in your gallery.
All you need to do is download an app like AllCast, Miracast, and some movies/shows you want to watch later. When you arrive at your destination, simply set up your Chromecast using the method described above.
After that, launch the app and play whatever you want from your gallery. That way you only use data to set up your Chromecast and don’t have to use it to stream movies and shows – see everything from your gallery on a bigger screen without WiFi.
You can also use Google Chromecast without Wi-Fi over your home broadband (Ethernet) network (the first Chromecast installation with the Google Home app requires Wi-Fi or data). So if you’re not getting strong Wi-Fi signals in a specific room in the house, you can use Ethernet.
All you need to do is buy an Ethernet adapter, which is pretty cheap by the way. Once you get your hands on one, follow these simple steps to stream to TV without Wi-Fi:
Connect your Chromecast to the HDMI port on the TV.
Use the USB cable from the Ethernet adapter and connect it to the Chromecast device. If your Ethernet adapter doesn’t come with a cable, use a USB cable to connect your Chromecast and adapter.
Then plug the Ethernet cable into the other end of the adapter.
Voila! You can now use your Chromecast device without a wireless connection.
Screencasting – How to connect phone to smart tv without wifi
Screencasting is another economical method for how to connect phone to smart tv without wifi. This is very useful if your TV does not have the screen mirroring option. This method is also quite selective as not all apps support the feature. This is how it works:
- Open the compatible app on your phone and TV
- Find the code on your TV and enter it into the compatible app on your phone
- Click on the streaming option on your phone and enjoy watching.
- This is similar to screen mirroring, except you can only use one app at a time.
How to mirror phone to TV without wifi?
Maybe you want to do some screen mirroring to the TV without WiFi, or maybe your TV doesn’t support WiFi. So, here are some ways to mirror your devices to TV:
The Google Home app has an option that allows you to mirror your devices to your TV. Here’s how to access it:
- First of all, if you don’t have Wi-Fi access, you’ll need to set it up using your phone’s hotspot as described in the first method.
- Then open Google Home and select the account tab.
- After that, tap on the ‘Device Mirror’ option.
- Select Cast Screen/Audio.
- Finally, tap on the TV you want to cast to and you can start mirroring your Android screen to the TV.
Note: Google regularly updates this app, so you may have to search for this option. Second, you may need to use separate devices for hotspot and mirroring.
Connect to the USB port
This is a completely Wi-Fi-proof way to mirror devices to your smart TV or regular TV. All you need is an HDMI/MHL cable for your TV and an HDMI/MHL adapter for your smartphone.
However, keep in mind that not all phones support HDMI. For example, only Samsung Galaxy S8 and above support this. The same goes for MHL, especially as manufacturers are slowly dropping support for it.
So make sure your smart device supports HDMI or MHL. Once you’re sure of that and bought the right cables, it’s pretty easy from here to mirror your device’s screen to your smart TV or regular TV without WiFi:
- If you have a phone that supports a USB Type-C port, such as the latest Galaxy series phones, plug one end of the HDMI adapter into this port. The same goes for MHL cables. Keep in mind, though, that you won’t be able to charge your phone because the adapter takes up the USB-C or micro-USB port.
- Then connect one end of the HDMI/MHL cable to the adapter and the other end to the appropriate port on the TV.
- Put your TV on the correct input and you can immediately start mirroring.
Let’s say you’re stuck and currently don’t have an HDMI adapter. Well, you can still go for a walk and throw things at your TV screen. However, this method will not match your phone’s screen exactly.
Instead, it mirrors your laptop screen to play content from your phone. So your laptop will act as a bridge here. Just connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your laptop and the other end to your TV.
Now use a USB data cable to connect your phone to the laptop and access the contents on it.
Select what you want to watch from the gallery and after switching to the HDMI input on the TV, you can watch everything on your laptop screen.
This method is perfect for connecting a phone to a TV without Wi-Fi, but if you have access to Wi-Fi or mobile data, you can download one of the many apps available to mirror your phone’s screen to your laptop.
How To Connect Phone To Smart TV Without Wifi Conclusion
Since the world relies heavily on wireless connections to perform simple day-to-day tasks, streaming and mirroring your smart devices to TV without Wi-Fi can be a little tricky. Even things like Chromecast require some sort of internet connection to work, be that mobile data or Ethernet.
However, if you have the right gear, you don’t need Chromecast and these devices, not even the internet. Instead, you can try any of the tricks mentioned above and get around things.