The Samsung Galaxy Note FE was a unique device, it was a way for Samsung to salvage many of the parts it produced for the Galaxy Note 7. Samsung had received a lot of praise for the Galaxy Note 7 and all the signs indicated that it would hit customers. However, battery issues forced Samsung to call back and cancel the device entirely.
With so many of its fans loving the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung decided to launch a refurbished version as it was already sitting on so much inventory of the Galaxy Note 7 alongside the recalled units. Samsung manufactured the Galaxy FE from leftover parts for the Galaxy Note 7 and unopened units from the original device. FE stands for Fan Edition, which makes it clear that this device was intended for those who really wanted to buy a Galaxy Note 7 but couldn’t get one for obvious reasons.
Samsung Galaxy Note Fan Edition Design
Since the Samsung Galaxy Note FE was only a refurbished variant of the Galaxy Note 7, it looks and feels the same as the broken device. It did away with the Samsung logo on the front that used to be under the earcup and also had Galaxy Note FE branding on the back to emphasize that this wasn’t a Galaxy Note 7, even though it looked like it.
The IP68-certified Galaxy Note 7 was Samsung’s first Note device with a curved edge display on both sides. Samsung has kept this design element in the Galaxy Note FE. The construction of metal and glass gives the device a premium look and feel. It measures 153.5 x 73.9 x 7.9mm and weighs 167g. There’s a USB Type-C port on the bottom flanked by a 3.5mm headphone jack and the S pen stylus on either side.
Samsung Galaxy Note FE Display
The Galaxy Note FE has a 5.7 inch Super AMOLED display with Quad HD resolution (1440×2560) with Gorilla Glass 5 as protection. The panel was a classic Samsung OLED with great colors and viewing angles.
As with the Galaxy Note 7, the screen was curved on both sides. Samsung used the same screen for this device as with the Galaxy Note 7.
Samsung Galaxy Note FE Specifications:
Samsung Exynos 8890 smartphone processor
The Galaxy Note FE was powered by Samsung’s own Exynos 8890 processor, paired with a Mali-T880 MP12 graphics processor and 3GB of RAM. 64 GB of UFS 2.0 storage was available, along with a microSD card slot for external expansions. Additional features include an iris scanner and a fingerprint sensor on the home button.
Since it was the battery that led to the downfall of the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung opted for a tried-and-true component. Instead, the Galaxy Note FE got a 3,200 mAh battery, which was also subjected to Samsung’s new 8-point safety test so as not to suffer the same fate as the Galaxy Note 7.
Samsung Galaxy Note FE Key Specifications and Features
- 5.7-inch Super AMOLED display, 1440 x 2560 pixels (515 ppi)
- Octa-Core Exynos 8890 Octa CPU, 4GB RAM
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- 64 GB storage with support for memory cards up to 256 GB
- 12MP rear camera and 5MP front camera
- Fingerprint sensor (front) & iris scanner
- 4G LTE data (up to 600 Mbit/s downloads)
- 3200 mAh battery
Samsung Galaxy Note FE S-pen
With the Galaxy Note FE, Samsung shipped the same S Pen as in the Galaxy Note 7. This meant it had all the new features introduced by the canceled device. This included the ability to swipe memos off the screen even when the device was locked, the ability to pin notes to the Always On Display, and the translation feature in Air Command.
Samsung Galaxy Note Fan Edition Camera
Samsung has equipped the Galaxy Note FE with a 12-megapixel f/1.7 rear camera with dual-pixel autofocus, auto HDR, and an LED flash. There was also a 5-megapixel f/1.7 selfie camera. The cameras were pretty much able to hold their own against competing devices, this was the same setup Samsung shipped with the Galaxy S7.
Samsung Galaxy Note Fan Edition software
The Galaxy Note 7 may have shipped with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, but since the Galaxy Note FE came out nearly 11 months later, that meant it came with Android 7.1.1 Nougat instead. It also came with the latest version of Samsung Experience, which meant that the user interface was different from the Galaxy Note 7 when it launched. The Galaxy Note FE also came with Samsung’s Bixby assistant.
Samsung Galaxy Note FE Availability
Samsung has not made the Galaxy Note FE available worldwide. It was only intended to sell 400,000 units of the device to customers in South Korea. The country offered 699,600 won (about $610) in gold, silver, blue, and black. Sales began on July 7, 2017. Samsung later released the Samsung Galaxy Note FE in Malaysia and a few select markets.
Samsung Galaxy Note Fan Edition Price in Nigeria
The Samsung Galaxy Note Fan Edition is not yet available in Nigeria. If available, you can buy the new smartphone from the best online stores using the links below. The Samsung Galaxy Note FE price in Nigeria is expected to be between 280,000 Naira and 350,000 Naira depending on your location (based on where you order in Nigeria).
Now that you’ve seen the price, key specs, and photos of the new Galaxy Note Fan Edition, scroll down for a full rundown of the Samsung Galaxy Note Fan Edition’s full specs.
Samsung Galaxy Note Fan Edition Full Specs
- Platform: Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- Processor: Octa-core Processor: 2.3GHz quad-core & 1.6GHz quad-core (Exynos 8890 Octa)
- GPU: Mali-T880 MP12
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Black Onyx, Blue Coral, Gold Platinum, Silver Titanium
- Dimension: 153.5 x 73.9 x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 167 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM
- Display: 5.7-inch Super AMOLED Display, 1440 x 2560 pixels (515 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Rear Camera: 12MP Camera, 2160p ultra HD 4K Video @30fps, 1080p Full HD Video @60fps
- Rear Camera Features: PDAF Autofocus, LED flash, OIS, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, Panorama, Auto HDR
- Front Camera: 13MP Camera, LED Flash, Auto HDR
- Built-in Storage: 64GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 256GB
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42.2 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 600 Mbps
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 4.2, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type C (USB 3.1)
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: MP3/WAV/eAAC+/Flac player
- Video Player: Xvid/MP4/H.264 player
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Front)
- Iris Scanner: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No
- Battery: 3200 mAh Li-ion Battery (Non-Removable)
- Talktime: up to 25 hours
- Standby Time: –