Are you looking for the best free firewall software for windows 10 to protect your computer or device? Read this review to select the best free firewall software for complete protection:
According to a recent study by MaketsandMarkets, the Network Security Firewall market will grow to $5.3 billion by the year 2023. There are several reasons for the growth of the Firewall market.
However, most businesses today are looking for firewall protection to protect sensitive or important data.
SolarWinds provides the Network Firewall Security Management Software with Security Event Manager. It has features and functionalities to strengthen your network security.
The continuous monitoring and real-time event correlation will catch the suspicious firewall activities and give you real-time insight into the firewall security of the network. The tool helps you detect security violations through policy checks.
- The price of the Security Events Manager starts at $4805. It offers a fully-featured 30-day free trial.
- Real-time visibility into network firewall security, monitoring firewall security configuration changes, custom firewall security system filters, etc.
- You will receive notifications for changes to the firewall.
- You can track the activity of targeted devices.
- It helps you ensure that only authorized firewall administrators make changes to firewall policies.
- It has the ability to create custom filters for flagging specific firewall events based on the default or custom criteria.
- Security Events Manager does not offer a free version.
#2) ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer – Best Free Firewall Software For Windows 10
ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer: Best for network and security administrators of small, business, private, or government IT infrastructures. ManageEngine provides firewall management software with Firewall Analyzer. The features make your network security stronger.
The tool continuously monitors firewall logs to identify suspicious network activity and provides real-time visibility into your network’s firewall security. It also helps you detect security vulnerabilities in the firewall policy.
- Firewall Analyzer’s price starts at $395 and comes with a fully-featured, 30-day free trial.
- Log analysis and policy management software.
- Network Security Software
- Effectively manages firewall policies.
- Ensures policy changes are managed.
- Monitors users’ internet activities.
- Monitors VPN usage of users in real-time.
- Continuously monitors and generates reports for various compliance standards.
- Assists auditors with forensic audits of network activities.
- Analyzes logs to monitor network traffic and bandwidth usage.
Firewall Analyzer is an ideal software for log analysis and configuration management for network security devices.
#3) System Engineer Ultimate Defense
System Mechanic Ultimate Defense is a convenient interface that provides a comprehensive set of security, privacy, and performance features. It secures your web browsing and can manage passwords and credit cards. It can remove malware on-demand.
It has a system shield to block malware. It is a VB100 certified anti-malware solution. It will deploy reactive and proactive malware detection strategies.
System Mechanic Ultimate Defense provides a malware killer that finds and removes dangerous malware from infected computers. It uses proprietary Scan Cloud-based scanning and analysis.
- Get a whopping 60% off System Mechanic Ultimate Defense for just $31.98! You can use the coupon code “workfromhome” (new customers only).
- Optimize PC performance, protect online privacy, securely manage passwords, remove malware, block malware, wipe entire drives and recover deleted files.
- System Mechanic Ultimate Defense offers a password manager.
- It can perform the recovery of deleted files.
- It provides detailed scan reports.
The Norton Free Firewall is part of the Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security solution offered by Norton. The Norton firewall, also known as Smart Firewall, uses a database of programs to block or flag programs.
- Advanced protection against cyber attacks, Blocks phishing websites, Protects and monitors the home network.
- 100% guaranteed protection against viruses.
- Verifies trusted websites.
- Poor protection against spyware.
- Parental controls for Mac and iOS devices are missing.
#5) LifeLock – best free firewall software for windows 10
LifeLock – Norton offers a solution with Smart Firewall. It can monitor internet traffic for protection against intruders. It can block online threats such as malware, viruses, and intruders.
Norton Security technology has five levels of protection. It has an intrusion prevention wall, antivirus file scan, reputation database, behavior monitoring, and powerful erase and repair.
Norton Smart Firewall protects your computers from unwanted intruders. It protects unauthorized access
LifeLock has four pricing plans, Standard ($7.99 per month for the first year), Select ($7.99 per month for the first year), Advantage ($14.99 per month for the first year), and Ultimate Plus ($20.99 per month for the 1st year). A free 30-day trial is available.
- Personal data protection, intrusion prevention system, behavior monitoring, etc.
- Antivirus file scan is available for PC, Mac, and Android devices.
- An intrusion prevention system can protect browsers and operating systems.
- It checks every downloaded file for reputation and flags files that have never been seen before.
- Unauthorized users cannot access computers over the Internet.
- According to reviews, the family plans may require you to pay an additional $5.99 per child.
# 6) ZoneAlarm
ZoneAlarm is a long-standing firewall that protects your computer from all types of cyberattacks, including spyware, malware, ransomware, identity theft, phishing attacks, viruses, and more.
ZoneAlarm-free firewall is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 10, XP, and Vista and can prevent harmful changes to your system by locking the host file. It can also prevent unauthorized changes by protecting the settings with a password. You can easily adjust the security model of a public or private network using the ZoneAlarm firewall’s slider.
- ZoneAlarm Free Firewall: Free
- ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall: $44.95/year
- Free antivirus + firewall, multiple layers of security, customizable user interface, online backup, etc.
- 5 GB free cloud backup.
- Integration with many other security programs.
- No protection against exploit attacks.
- Even safe programs are characterized by the highest security settings.
#7) Comodo firewall
Comodo Firewall is definitely one of the best free firewall software for windows 10 available today. We say this because the firewall has a variety of features, including a virtual kiosk, custom DNS servers, ad blocker, and much more. With the Comodo Firewall, you can easily add programs to block.
There is also a review scan option that you will find extremely helpful if you suspect your computer is infected with some type of malware.
- ComodoFree Firewall: Free
- Comodo Full Protection: $39.99/year
- ad blocker, custom DNS server, virtual kiosk, compatible with Windows 7, 8 & 10, real-time monitoring, etc.
- Optimized for beginners.
- Integration with the secure browser Comodo Dragon.
- No protection against exploit attacks.
- Default settings with automatic sandboxing are disabled.
# 8) TinyWall
TinyWall is one of the best free firewalls for Windows 10 and it protects your system from any kind of threat on the internet. The firewall protects your computer’s ports from hackers and blocks malicious or malicious programs that could spread your sensitive data over the Internet.
No pop-up ads, powerful scanning option, customizable options, Wi-Fi security, real-time alerts, instant firewall configuration, special LAN control options, etc.
- No popups.
- The automatic learning feature makes it easier to create exceptions.
- No protection against exploit attacks.
- The need to make exceptions for the web-based programs you use.
If you are looking for a best free firewall software for windows 10 that is easy to use and offers simple settings and options, you should go for Netdefender. The free Netdefender firewall has all the basic functions of a firewall and has an extremely simple installation process.
However, the best thing about this firewall is that you can block all unwanted incoming traffic with a single click of a button.
- Simple and user-friendly interface, no popups, port scanner, easy installation, ARF spoofing protection, etc.
- Easy installation process.
- A single click of a button blocks all unwanted incoming traffic.
- A few buggy features.
#10) Glass Wire
Glasswire’s best free firewall software for windows 10 allows you to proactively protect your computer against all types of online and inbound attacks. The Glasswire firewall starts protecting your operating system as soon as you install it on your computer.
The firewall won’t bother you if malware keeps popping up. Instead, the resource is immediately blocked without disturbing you.
- Discreet Alerts, Data Usage Tracking, Network Visual Monitoring, Network Audit Toolbox, Wi-Fi Twins Evil Detection, Lockdown Mode, Mini Graphics, etc.
- Easy installation process.
- A single click of a button blocks all unwanted incoming traffic.
- Not all of them are free to use.
- The inability to block all apps at once.
If you’re looking for a firewall that can do it all, PeerBlock should be your automatic choice. This is because it offers the highest level of security against all types of online and incoming threats. The free PeerBlock firewall instantly blocks malicious spyware, ads, etc.
- Easy installation, allows users to create their block list, protection against unwanted traffic, ease of use of the platform, etc.
- Simply switch it on and off.
- Blocks most pop-ups and ads.
- Not supported or updated.
- Basic IT skills are required to set up.
#12) AVS firewall
This free firewall protects your computer from both internal and external connections. In addition, the AVS firewall protects your system from malicious ads, pop-ups, flash banners, and registry changes.
- Parental controls, easy-to-use UI, AD blocking, registry cleaning, internet traffic control, compatible with Windows 7, 8, XP, and Vista.
- Free firewall software.
- Ability to control internet traffic even if you have limited internet access.
- Can even mark safe programs as a threat.
#13) OpenDNS home page
If you are looking for a robust free firewall to install on Windows 10, OpenDNS Home is a great option. This is because the firewall has advanced security features that keep a close eye on threats so that they don’t get to your computer through social media websites or other similar online platforms.
- Simple and user-friendly interface, Excellent internet behavior control, Many filter options, Automatic blocking of unreliable content, etc.
- Award-winning firewall.
- Not pushy
- All traffic is routed through the OpenDNS network.
#14) Private firewall
The best thing about a private firewall is that you can easily switch between firewall rules and unique settings.
Plus, you can instantly filter or block traffic without having to click too many buttons or prompts. You can accomplish many things with this free firewall, including disabling access to custom websites, denying access to a network, blocking specific IP addresses, etc.
- Process monitor, application monitor, port tracking, etc.
- Irregularity Detection
- Extensive help file with links.
- Easy to configure.
- Text-heavy surface.
- The need for updates.
Best Free Firewall Software For Windows 10 FAQ
Below are the most frequently asked questions about firewalls.
Q#1) What is a firewall?
Answer: A shield or barrier that protects a private network from unauthorized access, a firewall protects devices connected to the Internet or another network, such as a local area network (LAN).
The purpose of installing a firewall on a PC, phone, or tablet is to protect users from data-based malware threats on the Internet or other connected networks.
In cyberspace, data transfers between your PC and servers and routers. This data, which is sent in packets, is monitored by a firewall to detect and block unwanted data traffic.
The firewall does this by comparing the data packets with the rules that have been set. If the data packets meet these rules, they are accepted by the firewalls. If they don’t follow the rules, the firewall will reject or block them.
Today, firewalls help protect PCs and other connected devices around the world, whether they belong to individual users, large corporations, or the government.
Q#2) How does a firewall work?
Answer: Simply put, firewalls work by monitoring traffic to accept or allow the “good data” while rejecting or blocking the “bad or malicious data”. However, when we get into the details, the firewall uses one of three methods, or combinations thereof, to control the traffic going in and out of the network.
The three methods a firewall uses to protect a PC, tablet, or other devices are:
- Packet filtering
- Proxy service
- State Inspectorate
By using a predefined set of rules to create filters, packet filtering is the most basic form of firewall protection. The firewall will not allow a data packet into a network if it is marked by the filters. All data packets except those that pass through the filters are discarded.
An application that acts as an intermediary between systems uses a firewall proxy to obtain information from the Internet and then send it to the requesting system. The firewall proxy servers operate at the application layer of the firewall.
This is where both ends of a connection must use a proxy to complete the session. A process that mirrors a service that would run on the end host is created and executed by the proxy servers on the firewall. As a result, all data transfer for an activity is centralized to the firewall for scanning.
The third and final method that a firewall uses to protect a device or system is a condition-based inspection. Stateful Inspection, the most advanced firewall scanning, stores the information attributes of each connection in a database for the duration of the session.
In summary, called the “state” of the connection, these attributes contain important information such as the port and IP address of the connection and the order in which the data packets are sent. Relevant information in the database is compared with the data sent through the firewall.
The firewall lets the information through if the comparison shows a positive match. Otherwise, the entry of the information or data packet is rejected.
Q# 3) What are the different types of firewall software?
Answer: There are two basic types of firewalls; H. Appliance firewalls and client-based firewalls. Firewall software, a client-based firewall, is installed on a device to track traffic on that particular device.
On the other hand, the device firewall is a physical or hardware-based version of the firewall that contains a device that is placed between a user’s network and an external network such as the Internet.
Often, the device firewalls are used for network environments with multiple devices sharing the same network or Internet connection. Client-based or software firewalls, on the other hand, are best for adjusting security levels and setting firewall permissions for individual users or a group of users.
Q#4) How do firewalls protect against hackers?
Answer: Firewalls protect against hackers by blocking their access to your PC over Wi-Fi and the Internet.
To access your PC and steal sensitive data such as your browsing history, banking information, passwords, and other such information, hackers use the keylogging software and trojans to record your sessions and monitor your keystrokes. By keystrokes, we mean what you type on your PC or another device.
Hackers can use your computer to perform illegal activities without your knowledge. The good news is that firewalls can help stop them.
How can firewalls protect your computer from hackers? By blocking all unauthorized connections to your system.
In addition, a firewall allows you to select programs on your computer that have access to the Internet. This ensures that you never unknowingly connect to the internet. This prevents hackers and other cybercriminals from entering your computer through a Wi-Fi network or Internet connection.
Q #5) Can a firewall be hacked?
Answer: It is rare for a firewall to be hacked. Cybercriminals can easily hack into a firewall if it is not set up properly. Although a firewall is designed to protect your computer from hackers, if you incorrectly configure or maintain a firewall, your system’s security can be compromised.
No matter how strong your firewall protection is, hackers can bypass the firewall if there are vulnerabilities in the systems and applications that the firewall protects. For example, there are several vulnerabilities in Windows that attackers can use to break into your computer.
They just need to convince you to visit an infected website. So you must have antivirus and antimalware software installed on your PC or systems in addition to the firewall.
Also, make sure that all applications and operating systems are patched to the latest version. If you do this, the chances of a hacker gaining access to your system are slim.
Q # 6) What to look for in a firewall?
Answer: With so many options, it can be difficult to choose the right firewall for your needs.
However, you will probably make the right decision if you consider the following criteria when choosing the best free firewall software for windows 10:
- Protection and defense against threats.
- Visibility and control over your applications.
- Optimize the security infrastructure.
- Real-time notifications
- Excellent customer support.
The above list is not exhaustive and there are several other factors to consider when choosing the best free firewall.
Firewall market fact check: According to ResearchAndMarkets’ Web Application Firewall Market study, the market for web-based firewalls is projected to grow at a CAGR of 16.92% to $6.89 billion in 2024 over the forecast period 2019-2024. North America is currently the largest market for web application firewalls and that the main drivers that determine the profitability of a firewall for users are cost and performance.
Conclusion – Best Free Firewall Software For Windows 10
All of the best free firewall software for windows 10 mentioned above have their pros and cons. While some are great for features, security, and privacy, others have a price advantage.
For optimal protection and protection against threats, we recommend ZoneAlarm, Comodo Firewall, or Glasswire.
If you want transparency and control over your applications, choose a private firewall, peer block, or tiny wall. The best firewall options to optimize your security infrastructure are OpenDNS Home, Glasswire, and Netdefender. For real-time alerts, choose Tinywall, Glasswire, or Private Firewall. Finally, if affordability is your thing, you have several options to choose from, including Tinywall, Netdefender, Norton, Private Firewall, OpenDNS Home, AVS Firewall, Peerblock, and Glasswire.